Monday, June 7, 2010

Myeloma Mondays #19: Janice from Idaho


Where were you born and raised?
  • Australia, East Coast
Where do you currently live?
  • Idaho
When were you diagnosed and how old were you?
  • Non secretory MM but only with a Bone Marrow Biopsy.
Did you know what MM was prior to diagnosis?
  • Barely and I was an oncology nurse
Is there anyone else your in family with MM?
  • My cousin has MGUS and it was put in remission in 2006 after taking the supplements I did
What led to your diagnosis?
  • Exteme pain, inability to walk, exhaustion, trouble breathing, very low blood work, Hemaglobin of 6. Had an udiagnosed fractured spine, collapsed lungs.
How many times were you referred before actually being diagnosed?
  • Once but the doctor I was seeing thought I had an overactive complaint list Trips to the ER they blew me off
Where have you received treatment?
  • Boise, ID
Explain your treatment history
  • 10/2004: Started on polymva, Coq10, Immune support, Liver support and cleanse, coral calcium, Vit B, Vit D (Cod liver oil) Vit C limited
  • Heavy xray therapy 10 days only
  • Never took chemo, I was a retired RN with Oncology experience and what was offered I knew how deadly it could be and I also knew I had 2 feet in the grave so I declined. Stayed with my natural therapy. This is not for everyone but worked for me.
  • Transplant discussed but never seriously

Why did you or your doctor choose a specific treatment?
  • My doctor allowed me to try my own treatment although she did not agree she was a real gem in that area.
What has been the side effects of the different treatments?
  • Radiation was terrible for me and it was nearly the end of my what little immune system I had was done in. Could only tolerate 10 days as it was so intense and thru the sternum
What has been the hardest thing about your MM journey?
  • The pain, and nausea and the worry from my husband
What are the top lessons learned that you would want a newly diagnosed MM patient to know about?
  • Research as much as you can. Have an advocate. Insist on taking a copy of your tests after each visit, check out alternative as well as traditional treatments.
  • Become an expert yourself. Never give up!!!
How have you been able to stay positive and encouraged in your MM journey?
  • Prayer, Meditation, Faith, Get rid of fear (takes work) Anger and grudges helps heal your soul. The will to be calm and forgiving is as important as getting the medicine.
After being diagnosed... What perspective was changed the most?
  • I was pretty confused and never really thought I would die, I guess someone above gave me this serenity. Just dealing with the pain and nausea kept me occupied. Had wonderful support. I am more tolerant of others.
Did you or a parent work in a field with or were exposed to toxic chemicals prior to diagnosis?
  • I gave chemotherapy for 3 years but that was in the 80's
  • As children we had some exposure to garden chemicals but not many
What MM sites or blogs had you found good information from after diagnosis?
  • Cancercompass.com
  • medifocus.com
  • Phil's site www.mmfordummies.blogspot.com
  • www.healingcancernatrually.blogspot.com
  • www.healingcancernaturally.net
*Read other Myeloma Mondays by going here.

**To add your story to MM Mondays Story Time copy and paste this questionnaire (click here) and send it in an email tocancerkicker at gmail dot com. I would love to share your story! -Phil

No comments: